1. America is a major exporter of small arms. The powers that be in government know that and want to keep it that way. They have no intention of banning the manufacture of guns in the U.S.
2. Arms makers like it when gun buyers get scared about "totalitarian gun grabbers" because it drives up the demand for guns and ammo.
3. The NRA is not a gun-rights group; it is a PR agency for the gun makers. See #2.
4. Measures like an "assault weapons ban" that restrict guns on the basis of cosmetic features like whether it has a bayonet lug are meaningless security theater.
5. A universal background check - that is, banning the private sale of a gun from one person to another - just means that those sales must take place through a gun shop. The shop gets a fee when it performs this service. A universal background check may or may not make you safer, but it will make gun shop owners richer.
That is all. Carry on.